FINDER - Containment Level 3 Laboratories
The Faculty for Infectious Diseases and Epidemic Research (FINDER) is one of the largest and most comprehensive containment Level 3 facilities in Canada for performing discovery research in the field of those infectious diseases associated with microbial infection caused by the risk group 3 pathogens.
Boban Ratkovich and CES Engineering Ltd acted as the Containment Level 3 Laboratory Certification Consultant in front of UBC Property Trust for the 6,700 square foot FINDER Containment Level 3 facility located at the University of British Columbia Life Sciences Centre.
CES Engineering scope of work for this project included:
- Management of the design process for the CL 3 laboratories by performing the following services:
- Acting as a liaison between user group, design team, construction group and PHAC/CFIA representatives
- Consultation and advice to the design team for specialty laboratory containment practices
- Performing a focused review of the laboratories design and construction documents with reference to PHAC/CFIA Certification requirements for level
- 3 laboratories. The review includes complete laboratory design including all architectural, electrical and mechanical services and Owner equipment
- Incorporation of the CL 3 certification process into specification documents
- CL3 Laboratories equipment shop drawing review
- CL3 operation protocol review with User Group and Biosafety Officer
- Chair regular construction meetings during construction
- Chair regular commissioning meetings during commissioning and certification project phase
- Construction review and site inspection of the CL3 laboratory
- Pressure decay testing for CL3 lab ductwork and HEPA filters housing assemblies with the Sheet Metal Contractor
- Containment barrier leak testing (room testing)
- Commissioning of all building systems associated with CL3 laboratories
- Manage, coordinate and participate in the certification process
- Preparation of user manuals for CL3 laboratories
- Provide laboratory certification manual for a submission to PHAC/CFIA
I would strongly recommend Boban Ratkovich and CES Engineering Ltd for similar work on other CL 3 laboratory projects and would like to use this opportunity to thank Boban and CES Engineering staff for their continuous dedication, service attitude and professional experience throughout the successful establishment and certification of FINDER at UBC.
Francois Jean, PH. D
Faculty for Infectious Diseases and Epidemic Research (FINDER)